Pin

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Perfectly Easy Roast Turkey in an Electric Roaster


Who doesn't love a juicy turkey this time of year? I recently picked up a Bella 18 Quart Roaster Oven from Target for $27. I have always had trouble keeping the breast meat moist when roasting in a typical oven due to conflicting recipes online. This roaster made the easiest, most juicy turkey I have ever had. Preparation was simple and it only took 3 hours to cook. I started off with a 13.5 lb Honeysuckle turkey that I picked up before Thanksgiving for .59 per pound. I then rinsed the turkey and patted dry with paper towels. I then rubbed about 1/4 cup Smart Balance spread over the entire bird and tucked a few pieces under the skin. Then a rubbed in a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder all over the skin. 

Once the bird was seasoned, I preheated my roaster oven to the highest temperature possible and once preheated, cooked the turkey for 30 minutes. Then I lowered the temperature to 325 degrees for 2 and a half more hours. It is very important to leave the lid on for the entire cooking process. No basting is required or necessary. The end result was a moist turkey with crispy skin. Cooking times will vary based on the size of the bird. 

One of the best parts about using the roaster oven is that you have your regular oven open to make even more yummy dishes!

Update: since posting this recipe I have made a few additions to make a more flavorful turkey. I now stuff the cavity with 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped stalks of celery, and a chopped onion. Then I carefully pour a can of ginger ale and a small can of chicken broth into the cavity. Delicious! 


6 comments:

  1. Can you all help me out tell me how far ahead of Thanksgiving day that I can make up these Dishes
    1) Slow Cooker Sage & Sausage Stuffing
    2) Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
    3) Slow Cooker Corn Pudding
    4) Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
    5) Candied Sweep Potatoes
    6) Pumpkin Slab Pie
    7) Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
    Thanks for all of your help in this matter HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING Waynegilbert633@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say 2-3 days easily. Longer if you freeze them after you cook them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a million Wayne from VA

      Delete
  2. Before you put the turkey in did you wrap it with foil? Does that make the turkey looking brown and crispy? I don't foil my turkey and it does not come out brown like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you cover it up it will not self baste

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will not come out brown you have nothing in the Roster to brown it like you do in a reg oven

    ReplyDelete